Hello Morocco Fall 2018 Students!
In just a few short weeks you will be touching down in the Kingdom of Morocco and we want to make sure you know what to do upon arrival in Casablanca. Please print out the attached instructions and bring them with you in your carry-on.
Please reach out with any questions!
Gather as a group after getting off the plane.
- After disembarking from the plane, wait in the hallway for all students from the group to get off the plane. In general, you want to move together as a group through the airport and gather back up after each step. Make sure you are keeping track of your fellow-students (perhaps get in pairs to make this easier).
- If possible, try to text your instructor when you have disembarked from the plane. You might be able to connect to WiFi at this point to do this. If not, you should continue trying as you move through the airport.
- After you get off the plane, there is a long hallway to customs from where you get off the plane. There are usually bathrooms in this hallway. There are some western toilets, and some squat toilets here in the same bathroom. Be aware that depending on how busy it is, you may end up in a stall with a squat toilet.
- Typically, there are bathroom attendants in bathrooms in Morocco who expect 1 Dirham tip when you use the toilet. Since you are just arriving, it is okay to not give a tip in this bathroom, but be aware that usually when you use public bathrooms, you are expected to give a small tip.
Go to the Passport Control area.
- As you come to customs, you will line up in the appropriate line for foreigners in order to have your documents checked by a passport official. If you did not get a customs card on the plane, you may get one at the back of the room (where you come in). It is critical that you have a completed customs card before you get to the passport officials.
- When completing the customs card, here are some important notes:
- Mark that you are there for “tourism” because you will be obtaining a tourist visa.
- Your address in Morocco should be listed as: DAR ZERHOUNE 42 Derb Zouak, Tazga, Moulay Idriss Zerhoune.
- When it is your turn, give your passport and customs card to the passport official. He will review your information and put a stamp in your passport. You then walk behind that first window. You can try to wait for your fellow group members there, but the airport officials may ask you to move along. Next, you will give your passport to another police officer standing at the top of the escalator. He will double-check that you received the entry stamp.
Go to Baggage Claim.
- Once you pass the passport officials, you will go down an escalator to the baggage claim area. Here, you can wait at the end of the escalator for all group members to come through passport control. Please do not proceed to change money, get your bag, or anything else until your full group is together.
- Try to text your instructor when you have all passed through the passport control.
- Once everyone is together, you should go to get your bags.
- Before reaching the baggage claim belts , there will be ATMs and places to exchange US dollars. Please do not do use any of these services. Your group leaders will take you to exchange money or use an ATM later.
- Please wait until everyone has their luggage before departing the baggage claim area. Try to text your instructor when you are ready to leave the baggage claim area.
- At baggage claim, people will try to help you with your things. Politely refuse. You should all be able to carry all your things independently. They may actively try to take your things to help you, feel free to be forceful in refusing assistance. If someone helps you with your baggage, they will expect to be paid a small tip.
- If anyone is missing a bag, you will need to tell the airline. You will need to give the airline people the number of one of your instructors. (Give them this number: Ismail Bahallou +212 767-525526). If they ask for an address of where you will be, tell them the name of your orientation hotel which is DAR ZERHOUNE 42 Derb Zouak, Tazga, Moulay Idriss Zerhoune.
- As you leave the baggage claim areas, a set of final customs officials will have you put your bags through an X-Ray machine.
Leave the baggage claim area and go to the train station to meet your instructors.
- When you leave the baggage claim area, you will enter the main terminal area. There likely will not be many people there, since people without tickets are not allowed into the airport. There are a couple cafes on this level – please hold off on grabbing anything until you find your instructors.
- Proceed to the “train station” level. This is where you will meet your instructors. You DO NOT need to leave the airport to get to this level. Stay in the airport and look for signs pointing to an escalator that goes down to the “Gare” (train station). The train station is located one level below where you will come out of the baggage claim. The escalator will be slightly to the left and straight ahead from where you come out of the baggage claim area. There are signs for it with the picture of a train.
- Go down the escalators toward the train station. You will need to pass through the glass doors to the station area before you meet your instructors. This is a secure area where you will see airport officials checking people’s tickets to come into the airport. As soon as you pass this security point, look for your instructors. They will be near where people buy train tickets.
- If you do not see your instructors in their Dragons shirts, please call them on one of these numbers. If for any reason you don’t find the instructors, DO NOT get on the train or leave this area. Wait in this area and your instructors will find you.
||Phone Number (if calling from a US phone)
||Phone Number (if using a Moroccan’s phone)
NOTE: Dragons administration will be asking one student to serve as the student travel leader. This student will receive additional guidance from our staff and will be traveling with her phone for use in the time leading up to connection with instructors in Morocco.