Hey, lovely Mekong travelers!
We hope you are all getting excited for our upcoming travels, and delving into packing, prepping, and thinking about the adventure that awaits!
A few more packing notes, particularly about some important items that you’ll need for our Cambodia and Laos visas. We will get visas on arrival in both countries; for these visas, you’ll need passport photos, as well as US dollars, cash.
As you pack, please also be sure to bring along:
- 4 passport photos
- $100 USD cash for visa fees and another ~$100 for spending/incidentals =~$200 USD cash
- We will pay for our visas in Laos and Cambodia using USD cash.
- Laos and Cambodia also accept USD, so you may plan to bring some USD for your personal spending.
- USD are usually fairly easy to exchange in most places we will travel (please only bring brand new, crisp notes!).
- An ATM debit card
- Visa and Mastercard are widely used in the countries we will travel to, and we will have relatively regular access to ATMs.
- Please be sure to set a travel notice if you plan to use your card to withdraw from abroad.
- A Credit card (not essential but a good idea to have)
- If you have a debit card you can withdraw money, but it’s sometimes nice to have a credit card as a back up. This is really only in the case that you end up n hospital.
- Reminder – Don’t forget to pack your Student ID!
If any questions come up, please don’t hesitate to post them to the yak board, and we will respond promptly here.
Finally – please post an introduction if you haven’t! We can’t wait to hear more about each of you, and what has inspired you to join us on the Mekong River this fall.
Happy packing to all!
Shuier, Som and Steve.