Once again, we managed to pack MANY activities into our final day in San Juan:
- First, a hike up a short-but-steep hill with a gorgeous view of the lago and the pueblo below us.
- Next, a tour of a local, organic coffee cooperative that began with 5 families 30+ years ago, and now consists of over 150 families who grow their beans in the surrounding areas. Most of the beans are exported to the US and you will be able to find them in San Francisco!
- Afterward, a picnic lunch back at the program house consisting of delicious, triple-layered sandwiches and apple nectar (juice).
- The last Spanish classes at Eco Spanish School.
- Much anticipated time to finish shopping in the many tiendas selling wonderful products around town.
- And finally, a big fiesta in the biblioteca celebrating our last day here AND Juancho’s 40th birthday! We shared 3 cakes, homemade hot chocolate, punch, and two piñatas made by the boys, with our homestay families.
Tomorrow morning we will hop in a couple of boats for a 30-minute ride across the lake to our final hotel where we’ll spend the day enjoying each other and wrapping up our experience in Guatemala. We can’t believe the time has passed so quickly!