Peru 4B made it to Urubamba after an incredible trekking experience at Ausangate. Students will be sharing their own experiences soon, but some highlights included:
– Hiking to a high pass at 16,600 ft for an exquisite view of snow covered peaks and turquoise lakes
– Participating in a ceremony with our guides to ask Apu Ausangate, the spirit of the mountain, to bless our journey
– Cooking breakfast, lunch, and dinner for each other and learning how to set up tents
– Celebrating Hayden’s 15th birthday with oreos and dulce de leche
– Braving the wind and hail and warming up in the hot springs at Pacchanta
We are so proud of our students for rising to all of the challenges we were presented with during this trek. They took good care of themselves and each other, and surpassed their comprehension of their own abilities. They demonstrated perseverance and positivity, and always maintained a sense of humor.
We made the long journey back to Urubamba and have been resting and recovering at a beautiful eco-lodge nestled in the mountains. Today students are exploring Urubamba with a scavenger hunt and this afternoon they will meet their final homestay families. Students will be in homestays through Saturday morning and will be participating in cooking and traditional weaving lessons during the day.
The final days of our course will be focused on transference. Celebrating all that we have learned, the relationships that we have built, and preparing to make the long journey home.
Our students have expressed sadness to leave, excitement to return home, and deep gratitude for all they have experienced here. We feel so honored to have accompanies them on this journey, and cherish the time we have spent together. It will be hard to say goodbye! We will all be flying together from Cuzco to Lima and having one last celebratory dinner in the home city of Vanessa and Gabriel. Kaela will be flying to Miami with all of the students, accompanying them through customs, and making sure they feel prepared to catch their connecting flights.