Back to
Photo by Ryan Kost, Andes & Amazon Semester.


Hola queridos todos,

It is Friday the 21st, so that means that I am exactly 2 weeks in Peru today. Crazy!

On one hand it seems like yesterday that I said goodbye to all my friends and family in The Netherlands. But most of the time it feels like we’ve been here forever. It feels like we have known each other for much longer than 2 weeks and I almost don’t believe it when I remind myself that we only started this amazing journey less than 2 weeks ago.
The reason for this is probably because of all the new things we see and experience every day.

We spent almost 24/7 together in the first 1.5 week. Our penguin time according to our instructors.  During our first days of orientation we got to know each other and received a lot of information about the next three months.

Everyday we have been sharing stories, our physical and emotional status, how many liters of water we drink. Everything, literally everything. We even have to share what our poop looks like TMI (But everything to make sure we’re doing ok and that we’re healthy, lol)

After a few days of orientation, we started our first trek, the Lares trek. Our days varied from between 4 and 9 hours of hiking a day. One moment we would be walking in the burning sun and the other moment in the rain, wind and cold. We’ve had it all. But no matter how hard it was raining and how cold our hands were, the nature remained indescribably beautiful. The environment was breathtaking and sometimes even gave me goosebumps all over my body. Although I had the privelege to travel a lot, I have never seen nature like this before.
So much greenery, so much water and so much peace. Behind every mountain there was a whole new and even more incredible landscape. Lamas, birds, sheep and horses. All free, all together, all in peace. It looked exactly how I would imagine heaven.

On our last day of trek we arrived at a hotspring place in Lares.
It felt like a reward for everyone, but somehow it also felt strange to me.  After having encountered almost nobody for 4 days, it felt weird to suddenly be sitting in a hotspring between 50 total strangers.
Then I noticed how quickly people can get used to things. After 5 days I was no longer used to be surrounded by so many people. But the same goes for my phone, after a week I didn’t think about my device anymore and I don’t miss being online all the time at all. It’s actually quite relaxed. I am also getting used to my cold shower, the local food, the fact that I have to wash my hands 100 times a day and the fact that I have to throw my toilet paper in a trash can instead of flushing it. We adapt to daily life here and we come in contact with this beautiful and loving culture.

We are currently in Urubamba and have a little more routine. Attending Spanish class, going to our independent study projects and connecting with our lovely homestay families. It’s Friday, which means weekend. This weekend we will be spending most of our time with our homestay families and on Sunday we will be celebrating carnival.

I am excited for our last week in Urubamba!